Essential Supplies to Get Through Puppyhood – From Treasure Coast Puppy Training Expert
If you have a puppy on the way and you’re reading this, kudos to you for researching ahead of time!
If you already have a puppy and hope to make your life easier, you’ve found the right article!
When starting life with a new puppy, here are the supplies that will help you manage your pup’s behavior and reduce your stress:
Essential Supplies to Get Through Puppyhood
- Exercise Pen: Always buy taller than you think you need. I prefer metal. This is your puppy’s new bedroom. Keep their toys in here, so it’s a fun place to be. Please keep them in when they aren’t being directly supervised.
- Crate: This is your puppy’s safe sleeping space. I like to put the crate in the pen, but it depends on its size. You can buy a big one but make sure it has a divider to be able to reduce the size to suit your puppy.
- 1-2 Cheap Dollar Store leashes: So you won’t mind if they get chewed: You’ll leave one of these on your puppy when they are out of their pen and running around.
- A 6-foot leash: Use this for potty walks and short neighborhood walks. I prefer biothane leashes; they are fantastic!
- Martingale Collar with ID Tags: Keep on your puppy when they are out of the crate/pen.
- Harness: Once your puppy goes through a growth spurt or two, invest in a well-made harness with a leash connection on the chest. Two popular brands/styles are Freedom No-Pull Harness and Balance Harness.
- Water Bowl: If you have a messy drinker or a dog with a beard (doodle), I like the LumoLeaf bowl on Amazon. Make sure your pup knows how to use it, of course.
- Toppl Food Toy by West Paw: Stuff it with your puppy’s meal and freeze. Suddenly, you will have about 20-30 minutes of free time!
- Loads of Edible and Non-Edible Chewable Items: Check out puppy teething rings, Benebones, Nylabones, CET chews, and Enzadent chews, to name a few. Make sure you have plenty and rotate them weekly to keep them fresh.
- Flirt Pole Toy: Help satisfy your pup’s urge to chase and tug.
Of course, you can always buy more things, but these are the items that I recommend as basic essentials for almost every puppy. I use all of these essentials with the pups that come through my house.
If you have any questions about using any of the above, please reach out, and I’ll be happy to help!
Treasure Coast Puppy Trainer
Gerry-Anna is the leading puppy trainer on the Treasure Coast, and would love to support you through your puppyhood journey and beyond!
If you want a dog that will be an absolute joy to share your life with, who’s a pleasure to be around, then it all starts with early puppy training.
As the saying goes, prevention is better than cure, and that is so true when it comes to raising a well-mannered dog who is a wonderful addition to your family.
Fixing problems takes a lot more time, effort, and support.
But if you learn how to prevent problem behaviors from developing and how to communicate with your puppy so they understand exactly what you want – you have an incredible foundation for the road ahead.
Book your FREE Puppy Training Consult with Gerry-Anna today!